If you are like me, you adore Downtown Abbey! The decor, clothes, and jewelry are simply perfection! People flock to London's legendary Portobello Market to get a little piece of the glamour of a country estate. We you don't have to travel so far! We have many of the English Cottage essentials Lady Mary would swoon for.
Paula's English Cottage Chic Essentials:
1. Vintage Jewelry - if you want to go roaring 20's, go for a long strand of pearls or a small filigree sterling brooch. Like in the US, rhinestones were popular in the post-WWII era.
2. Mood Lighting - From candlesticks to antique lamps to antique chandeliers, vintage lighting has a warm glow that can't be beat.
3. Crystal and lots of it - would you drink out of anything less???
4. China - it is best to have a set for every day and one for special occasions.
5. Little sterling bits and bobs - prior to our modern household appliances, people, usually we gals, did everything by hand. Silversmiths found that there was a lucrative market in making these dull task a little brighter by adding sterling to thimbles, scissors, and other household wares.